Re: Add a norecovery option to ext3/4?

On Tue, 10 April 2007 07:27:18 -0400, Theodore Tso wrote:

> I suppose what you could do is to read in the journal, and use it to
> create an remapping table so that when you want to read block #5126,
> and block number 5126 is in the journal, to read the journal version
> of the block instead of the one on disk.  That would allow for safe
> access to a filesystem being mounted read-only without the journal
> being present.

Another option would be to access the medium through a mapping inode,
replay the journal into the mapping inode and _not_ flush the dirty
pages.  But as long as a remapping table is sufficient for ext3 journal
format, such a table should be simpler and faster.

> Patches gratefully accepted....

Not likely to come from me anytime soon.  There's a certain other
filesystem I have to finish first that still suffers from the same
problem.

Jörn

--
Do not stop an army on its way home.