Re: init's children list is long and slows reaping children.

Andrew Morton wrote:
On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 03:05:56 -0400 Jeff Garzik <[email protected]> wrote:

My main worry with keventd is that we might get stuck behind an unrelated process for an undefined length of time.

I don't think it has ever been demonstrated that keventd latency is
excessive, or a problem.  I guess we could instrument it and fix stuff
easily enough.

It's simple math, combined with user expectations.

On a 1-CPU or 2-CPU box, if you have three or more tasks, all of which are doing hardware reset tasks that could take 30-60 seconds (realistic for libata, SCSI and network drivers, at least), then OBVIOUSLY you have other tasks blocked for that length of time.

Since the cause of the latency is msleep() -- the entire reason why the driver wanted to use a kernel thread in the first place -- it would seem to me that the simple fix is to start a new thread, possibly exceeding the number of CPUs in the box.

The main problem with keventd has been flush_scheduled_work() deadlocks: the

That's been a problem in the past, yes, but a minor one.

I'm talking about a key conceptual problem with keventd.

It is easy to see how an extra-long tg3 hardware reset might prevent a disk hotplug event from being processed for 30-60 seconds. And as hardware gets more complex -- see the Intel IOP storage card which runs Linux -- the reset times get longer, too.

So the issue is /not/ deadlocks.

The thing to concentrate on here is the per-cpu threads, which is where the
proliferation appears to be coming from.

Strongly agreed.

	Jeff