Re: I give up

On Mon, 2007-04-09 at 23:35 +0200, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
> On Apr 9 2007 15:38, Gene Heskett wrote:
> >>
> >>It moves around because someone at some point thought it was a great
> >>idea to assign dynamic majors to core functionality.
> >>
> >What were they smoking, I want some of that!
>
> Do you actually use udev?

udev doesn't help the problem he is having (and he is using it, since he
is using Fedora).

His problem is that GNU tar stores the device number of the file in a
database that it uses to perform incremental updates, and considers the
file new (and re-dumps it) when the device number changes.

So, when he changes the kernel config, adding any block device that uses
a dynamic major (and is loaded before device-mapper), or goes between
kernels that have the reserve-LANANA numbers patch, his incremental
dumps become full ones because device-mapper gets a different dynamic
major.
--
Dave Dillow <[email protected]>