Re: [RFC, PATCH 1/3] introduce SYS_CLONE_MASK

On Mon, Apr 09, 2007 at 01:06:43PM +0400, Oleg Nesterov wrote:
> On 04/08, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> > There is a practical question how much we care about pstree being
> > confused (I assume it doesn't crash).  If this is just a confusion
> > issue then I say go for it.  PPID == 0 is a very legitimate way to say
> > the kernel is the parent process.
>
> No, it doesn't crash. It just doesn't show kernel threads (ps ax is OK).
> I didn't look into the sources, but I guess the reason is that pstree
> assumes that the "root" of the tree is "pid == 1" process.

I would say this is more a benefit than a problem.  With a couple of these
systems we are testing, the number of kernel threads is far greater than
the number of user processes and having pstree not normally show them, but
maybe have an option we add later to show them again would be beneficial.

Thanks,
Robin