Re: Oops in 2.6.19.1

On Sunday 31 December 2006 21:43, Chuck Ebbert wrote:

> On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 18:29:15 +0000, Alistair John Strachan wrote:
> > > Can you post disassembly of pipe_poll() for both the one that crashes
> > > and the one that doesn't?  Use 'objdump -D -r fs/pipe.o' so we get the
> > > relocation info and post just the one function from each for now.
> >
> > Sure, no problem:
> >
> > http://devzero.co.uk/~alistair/2.6.19-via-c3-pipe_poll/
> >
> > Both use identical configs, neither are optimised for size. The config is
> > available from the same location.
>
> Those were compiled without frame pointers.  Can you post them compiled
> with frame pointers so they match your original bug report? And confirm
> that pipe_poll() is still at 0xc0156ec0 in vmlinux?

c0156ec0 <pipe_poll>:

I used the config I original sent you to rebuild it again. This time I've put
up the whole vmlinux for both kernels, the config is replaced, the
decompilation is re-done, I've confirmed the offset in the GCC 4.1.1 kernel
is identical. Sorry for the confusion.

The reason I changed the configs was to experiment with enabling and disabling
debugging (and other such) options that might have shaken out compiler bugs.

However none of these kernels have ever crashed gracefully again, most of them
hang the machine (no nmi watchdog though) so I've not been able to look at
the oops. It's the same root cause, however, as GCC 3.4.6 kernels do not
crash.

http://devzero.co.uk/~alistair/2.6.19-via-c3-pipe_poll/

Happy new year, btw.

--
Cheers,
Alistair.

Final year Computer Science undergraduate.