Re: OpenAFS gatekeepers request addition of AFS_SUPER_MAGIC to magic.h

On Fri, Dec 29, 2006 at 03:56:12PM -0800, Adam Megacz wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Jeffrey Altman, one of the gatekeepers of OpenAFS (the open source
> project which inherited the Transarc/IBM AFS codebase) has requested
> that the magic number 0x5346414F (little endian 'OAFS') be allocated
> for the f_type field of the fsinfo structure on Linux:
>
>   https://lists.openafs.org/pipermail/openafs-info/2006-December/024829.html
>
> I would like to offer the patch below for inclusion in the source
> tree, if possible.  The patch adds it to include/linux/magic.h, mostly
> as a way of publishing this number and ensuring that no other
> filesystem accidentally uses it.

We're not allocating these number for any other out of teee junk like vxfs
or gpfs either.  So I'd say stay away.

p.s. and please stop that namedropping - beeing a 'gatekeeper' doesn't
	make you any more important than just beeing yourself