Re: Finding hardlinks

On Thu, 28 Dec 2006, Arjan van de Ven wrote:

It seems like the posix idea of unique <st_dev, st_ino> doesn't
hold water for modern file systems

are you really sure?
and if so, why don't we fix *THAT* instead, rather than adding racy
syscalls and such that just can't really be used right...

Why don't you rip off the support for colliding inode number from the kernel at all (i.e. remove iget5_locked)?

It's reasonable to have either no support for colliding ino_t or full support for that (including syscalls that userspace can use to work with such filesystem) --- but I don't see any point in having half-way support in kernel as is right now.

As for syscall races --- if you pack something with tar and the directory changes underneath, you can't expect sane output anyway.

Mikulas