Re: [patch 2.6.12-rc2] PNP: export pnp_bus_type

On Wednesday 27 December 2006 2:30 pm, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-12-27 at 13:47 -0800, David Brownell wrote:
> > The PNP framework doesn't export "pnp_bus_type", which is an unfortunate
> > exception to the policy followed by pretty much every other bus.  I noticed
> > this when I had to find a device in order to provide its platform_data.
>
> can you please merge the export together with the driver?

I'll send that stuff along; providing the platform data is actually
an update to ACPI glue, not the driver, so the driver won't need to
become needlessly coupled to ACPI.  (Driver = rtc_cmos, I'll resend
it in a few days.)

> We already
> have way too many unused exports, and the only sane way is to merge the
> export with the user..... (and yes exports are not free, they take up
> 100 to 150 bytes of kernel size for example)

Hmm, then maybe it'd be worth updating that patch I just sent so that
the only change is to switch #includes for the extern decl ... i.e. to
"export" it only to other statically linked kernel code, rather than to
modules.  I'll do that.

My own question about that EXPORT_SYMBOL was whether it instead be
an EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL, but if either one costs bytes ... I'm happy to
avoid that cost!

- Dave