Re: Linux 2.6.20-rc2

On 12/24/06, Linus Torvalds <[email protected]> wrote:

Ok,
 it's a couple of days delayed, because we've been trying to figure out
what is up with the rtorrent hash failures since 2.6.18.3. I don't think
we've made any progress, but we've cleaned up a number of suspects in the
meantime.

It's a bit sad, if only because I was really hoping to make 2.6.20 an easy
release, and held back on merging some stuff during the merge window for
that reason. And now we're battling something that was introduced much
earlier..

Now, practically speaking this isn't likely to affect a lot of people, but
it's still a worrisome problem, and we've had "top people" looking at it.
And they'll continue, but xmas is coming.

In the meantime, we'll continue with the stabilization, and this mainly
does some driver updates (usb, sound, dri, pci hotplug) and ACPI updates
(much of the latter syntactic cleanups). And arm and powerpc updates.

Shortlog appended.

For developers: if you sent me a patch, and I didn't apply it, it was
probably just missed because I concentrated on other issues. So pls
re-send.. Unless I explicitly told you that I'm not going to pull it due
to the merge window being over, of course ;)

                Linus

[shortlog snipped]

As already reported multiple times, including at -rc1 time...

still need this libata-sff.c patch:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=116343564202844&q=raw

to have my root device detected, ata_piix probe would otherwise
fail as described in this thread:

http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0612.0/0690.html

Enjoy the holiday season,

--alessandro