Re: [take28-resend_1->0 0/8] kevent: Generic event handling mechanism.

Evgeniy Polyakov wrote:
On Thu, Dec 21, 2006 at 12:14:17PM +0300, Evgeniy Polyakov ([email protected]) wrote:
Generic event handling mechanism.

Kevent is a generic subsytem which allows to handle event notifications.
It supports both level and edge triggered events. It is similar to
poll/epoll in some cases, but it is more scalable, it is faster and
allows to work with essentially eny kind of events.

Events are provided into kernel through control syscall and can be read
back through ring buffer or using usual syscalls.
Kevent update (i.e. readiness switching) happens directly from internals
of the appropriate state machine of the underlying subsytem (like
network, filesystem, timer or any other).

Homepage:
http://tservice.net.ru/~s0mbre/old/?section=projects&item=kevent

Documentation page:
http://linux-net.osdl.org/index.php/Kevent

Consider for inclusion.

Due to this stall kevent inclusion into lighttpd CVS tree is postponed.

The last version will be released saturday or sunday, and looking into
overhelming flow of feedback comments on this feature, project will not
be released to linux-kernel@, after this I will
complete netchannels support and start kevent based AIO project - mostly
network AIO with new design, which is based on set of entities, which
can describe set of tasks which should be performed
asynchronously (from user point of view, although read and write
obviously must be done after open and before close), for example syscall

kevent is being considered for inclusion, but there is no need to get impatient. Once kevent code stops getting revised rapidly, Andrew Morton can pick it up for -mm, for wide dissemination, testing and review. After that phase, it can be pushed to mainline.

The feeling I get from other kernel hackers is that you are demanding inclusion "now! now! now!" rather than giving all stakeholders a chance to give input, and let your design sink into the collective brain.

This isn't just an optional feature but a key new addition to the kernel. So we should intentionally take more time and consideration than normal. We don't want to go back and have to change fundamental kevent details due to design flaws, we want to get it right.

	Jeff