Re: [KORG] Re: kernel.org lies about latest -mm kernel

On Sun, Dec 17, 2006 at 04:42:56PM -0800, J.H. wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-12-18 at 00:37 +0200, Matti Aarnio wrote:
> >
> > Relaying on DNS and clients doing round-robin load-balancing is doomed.
> >
> > You really, REALLY, need external L4 load-balancer switches.
> > (And installation help from somebody who really knows how to do this
> > kind of services on a cluster.)
>
> While this is a really good idea when you have systems that are all in a
> single location, with a single uplink and what not - this isn't the case
> with kernel.org.  Our machines are currently in three separate
> facilities in the US (spanning two different states), with us working on
> a fourth in Europe.

On multi-site setups, you have to rely on DNS, but the DNS should not
announce the servers themselves, but the local load balancers, each of
which knows other sites.

While people often find it dirty, there's no problem forwarding a
request from one site to another via the internet as long as there
are big pipes. Generally, I play with weights to slightly smooth
the load and reduce the bandwidth usage on the pipe (eg: 2/3 local,
1/3 remote).

With LVS, you can even use the tunneling mode, with which the request
comes to LB on site A, is forwarded to site B via the net, but the data
returns from site B to the client.

If the frontend machines are not taken off-line too often, it should
be no big deal for them to handle something such as LVS, and would
help spreding the load.

> > How about having filesystems mounted with "noatime" ?
> > Or do you already do that ?
>
> We've been doing that for over a year.

Couldn't we temporarily *cut* the services one after the other on www1
to find which ones are the most I/O consumming, and see which ones can
coexist without bad interaction ?

Also, I see that keepalive is still enabled on apache, I guess there
are thousands of processes and that apache is eating gigs of RAM by
itself. I strongly suggest disabling keepalive there.

> - John

Just my 2 cents,
Willy