Re: PROBLEM: 2.4 oops: proc_pid_stat()

Thank you for these thoughts, Willy. Because the affected machine is a
server in another state I first tried going ahead and upgrading to 2.6.17.3.
The machine has now been up for 91 days and counting; in the year since
the mentioned change that brought on the segfaults I do not believe it
had ever ran that long. So it seems 2.4.32 to 2.6.17.3 either fixed
or happened to sidestep the issue. If I had another machine with the
problem I would be happy to investigate further, but, unfortunately, this
machine needs to stay up.

I just wanted to let possible others with similar problems know and
thank you and Grant Coady for your feedback!

On Sun, Sep 17, 2006 at 07:50:32AM +0200, Willy Tarreau wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 16, 2006 at 04:24:02PM -0700, Chris Frost wrote:
> > [1.] One line summary of the problem:
> > 2.4.32 proc_pid_stat() repeatedly segfaults.
> >
> > [2.] Full description of the problem/report:
> > 2.4.32 kernel, after being up for a few days to a few weeks, repeatedly
> > segfaults in proc_pid_stat(), triggered by w, ps, and other programs.
> >
> > [3.] Keywords (i.e., modules, networking, kernel):
> > kernel proc_pid_stat()
> >
> > [4.] Kernel version (from /proc/version):
> > $ cat /proc/version
> > Linux version 2.4.32 (root@tiger) (gcc version 3.3.5 (Debian 1:3.3.5-13)) #1 Wed Dec 21 10:57:37 CST 2005
> >
> > [5.] Output of Oops.. message (if applicable) with symbolic information
> >      resolved (see Documentation/oops-tracing.txt)
> > See attached oops.w.log (triggered by w) and oops.ps.log (triggered by ps).
> >
> > [6.] A small shell script or example program which triggers the
> >      problem (if possible)
> > Once it starts oopsing, "w" and "ps aux" trigger an oops every time.
> >
> > [7.] Environment
> > i386 Debian sarge on a network server in a closet.

<snip hardware information from original email>

--
Chris Frost  |  <http://www.frostnet.net/chris/>