Re: ieee1394 in 2.6.20-rc1 (was Re: Linux 2.6.20-rc1)

On Thursday 14 December 2006 22:17, Gene Heskett wrote:
>On Thursday 14 December 2006 12:48, Stefan Richter wrote:
>[...]
>
>>(Anyway, that's unrelated to Gene's issues.)
>
>And which I haven't had a chance to check yet, the camera is still in
> the truck and I've been busier than a one legged man in an ass kicking
> contest today.  I did get 2.6.20-rc1 built and its whats running, but
> that is as far as I got, too many other honeydo's.  Tomorrow hopefully.
> If I don't wind up using a backhoe for a divining rod, looking for our
> sewer which is beginning to nag us occasionally.

Stefan, I did get a chance to try it out just now, and while I didn't try
to capture a 2 hour movie, I did use kino to control the camera playback,
rewind etc stuff for about 10 minutes and had no problems whatsoever.
Kino I believe, can only step forward and backwards one frame at a time
in its edit window as nothing happened when I tried those direct to the
camera while it was paused.  I even went back and played spastic monkey
on the controls, but was unable to trigger a segfault exit or any other
kind of an error.  The only entry in the messages log for all this was:

Dec 17 12:47:13 coyote kernel: WARNING: The dv1394 driver is unsupported
and will be removed from Linux soon. Use raw1394 instead.

Dec 17 12:47:13 coyote kernel: ieee1394: raw1394: /dev/raw1394 device
initialized

So whatever was done to the ieee1394 stuffs between 2.6.19 and 2.6.20-rc1
was a definite, and much appreciated improvement, many thanks to all
concerned, I probably owe somebody a pint (or more).

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)