Re: [Fwd: escape key]

Jan Engelhardt wrote:

On Dec 16 2006 08:45, Pavel Machek wrote:
Two escapes works now. :-)
Actually could we fix our consoles, somehow, to make esc usable?
Having important key like esc unusable on consoles is quite ugly.

It's something between a misdesign and a misconfiguration of the ESC key.

In other words, many unices make ESC generate ^[, the general
terminal escape character that is _also_ generated by keys like "up",
^[[A.

MS-DOS, or rather QBASIC's, Turbo BASIC's and other implementation of
keys, does not have this "bug": here ESC generates "\x1B" and "up"
generates "\x00H" IIRC. There is no key defined to generate "\x00".
=> All fits nicely.

So I see two steps:

- making ESC generate something else than ^[, or making function
  keys do something else

- fixing the terminfo description and the xterms

- possibly creating a new termtype ("linux2" or "xterm2") so as to
  not tamper with compatibility

Then text-console graphic applications (ncurses, slang, etc.) would
not need to wait the defined one second for an escape sequence to
complete.

HOWEVER, unix people probably _had a reason_ to make ESC generate
part of what function keys do. Should my UP key go broke, I could
still - though probably tedious - reproduce it by hitting the three
keys ESC [ A. Problem, as pointed out, is that ESC has long been used
by the majority of people back then for something else than doing
terminal sequences by hand: DOS, apps, games, Windows GUIs, and,
I suppose, even X11.

	-`J'
Hi,

do man ascii - ESC is 0x1b.
Thats what the esc key should generate - it sometimes echoed as ^[ because the [ = 0x5b

Steve

--

"They that give up essential liberty to obtain temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Ben Franklin)

"The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." (Thomas Jefferson)