Re: 2.6.19-rc5: known regressions (v3)

On 11/22/06, Andrew Morton <[email protected]> wrote:
On Wed, 22 Nov 2006 11:36:14 +0100
Andi Kleen <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Wednesday 22 November 2006 11:28, Eric Dumazet wrote:
> > >

> > I hit the same problem on i386 architecture too, if CONFIG_ACPI is not set.
>
> oprofile is still broken because it cannot deal with the lack of perfctr 0.

The kernel is still broken because we changed the interface.

I just got bit by this on 2.6.20-latest (well, of two days ago anyway)
while trying to debug another transient 'kacpid sucks all available
cpu time'. But that's okay, I'm sure it will happen again in a week or
two.

In the meantime, who won this pis^H^H^H discussion?

Mikael Pettersson wrote:
Andrew Morton writes:
> Surely the appropriate behaviour is to allow oprofile to steal the NMI and
> to then put the NMI back to doing the watchdog thing after oprofile has
> finished with it.

Which is _exactly_ what pre-2.6.19-rc1 kernels did. I implemented
the in-kernel API allowing real performance counter drivers like
oprofile (and perfctr) to claim the HW from the NMI watchdog,
do their work, and then release it which resumed the watchdog.

Note that oprofile (and perfctr) didn't do anything behind the
NMI watchdog's back. They went via the API. Nothing dodgy going on.

Well, that seems clear.