Re: Linux 2.6.20-rc1

On Thu, Dec 14 2006, Alistair John Strachan wrote:
> On Thursday 14 December 2006 19:57, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> > On Thu, 14 Dec 2006, Alistair John Strachan wrote:
> > > `hddtemp' has stopped working on 2.6.20-rc1:
> >
> > Hmm. Can you do the strace on a working kernel too? For example, is it
> > that the 0x30d ioctl (which is HDIO_GET_IDENTITY) used to work? If it's a
> > SATA device, and you _used_ to use the PATA drivers, some of the old
> > IDE-only ioctl's simply don't work when used in native SATA
> > configurations.
>
> I've always been using sata_nv and libata. All the drives in question are SATA
> devices, no configuration change other than this kernel has taken place.
>
> Indeed, the configs are very similar. Find the configs, straces on both
> kernels, and the hddtemp binary (AMD64, I'm afraid) here:
>
> http://devzero.co.uk/~alistair/2.6.20-rc1-hddtemp/

Looking at the strace, it would _seem_ that an SG_IO failure could very
well be the reason for the diverged paths. And that would indicate
another bug in that area, outside of what we already fixed for
2.6.20-rc1.

Is the hddtemp source not available?

> > If you can do a "git bisect" on this, that would help a lot.
>
> I'll do that if nobody comes up with anything obvious.

If you can just test 2.6.19-git1, then we'll know if it's the SG_IO
patch again.

--
Jens Axboe