Re: kref refcnt and false positives

Andrew Morton a écrit :
On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 16:12:46 -0800
Greg KH <[email protected]> wrote:

Original comment seemed to indicate that this conditional thing was
performance related. Is it really? If not, we should consider the below patch.
Yes, it's a performance gain and I don't see how this patch would change
the above warning.

I suspect it's a false optimisation.

int kref_put(struct kref *kref, void (*release)(struct kref *kref))
{
	WARN_ON(release == NULL);
	WARN_ON(release == (void (*)(struct kref *))kfree);

	/*
	 * if current count is one, we are the last user and can release object
	 * right now, avoiding an atomic operation on 'refcount'
	 */
 	if ((atomic_read(&kref->refcount) == 1) ||
	    (atomic_dec_and_test(&kref->refcount))) {
		release(kref);
		return 1;
	}
	return 0;
}

The only time we avoid the atomic_dec_and_test() is when the object is
about to be freed.  ie: once in its entire lifetime.  And freeing the
object is part of an expensive (and rare) operation anyway.

otoh, we've gone and added a test-n-branch to the common case: those cases
where the object will not be freed.

I agree this 'optimization' is not "good" (I was the guy who suggested it http://lkml.org/lkml/2006/1/30/4 )

After Eric Biederman message (http://lkml.org/lkml/2006/1/30/292) I remember adding some stat counters and telling Greg to not put the patch in because kref_put() was mostly called with refcount=1. But the patch did its way. I *did* ask Greg to revert it, but cannot find this mail archived somewhere...

But I believe Venkatesh problem comes from its release() function : It is supposed to free the object.
If not, it should properly setup it so that further uses are OK.

ie doing in release(kref)
atomic_set(&kref->count, 0);

Eric