Re: [patch 03/13] io-accounting: write accounting

Andrew Morton wrote:
On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 00:45:50 -0800
Suleiman Souhlal <[email protected]> wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

From: Andrew Morton <[email protected]>

Accounting writes is fairly simple: whenever a process flips a page from clean
to dirty, we accuse it of having caused a write to underlying storage of
PAGE_CACHE_SIZE bytes.

On architectures where dirtying a page doesn't cause a page fault (like i386), couldn't you end up billing the wrong process (in fact, I think that even on other archituctures set_page_dirty() doesn't get called immediately in the page fault handler)?

Yes, that would be a problem in 2.6.18 and earlier.

In 2.6.19 and later, we do take a fault when transitioning a page from
pte-clean to pte-dirty.  That was done to get the dirty-page accounting
right - to avoid the all-of-memory-is-dirty-but-the-kernel-doesn't-know-it
problem.

Ah yes indeed. I'm unable to keep up with all the new developments. :-(

However, if my understanding of this code is correct, it seems that the
page fault is only done for shared writable VMAs, so you still can't
rely on set_page_dirty() always being called by the process that
dirtied the page in the first place.

Am I wrong?

-- Suleiman