Re: Mach-O binary format support and Darwin syscall personality [Was: uts banner changes]

On Dec 12, 2006, at 13:20:19, Linus Torvalds wrote:
That said, powerpc simply doesn't historically do any system call translation, so you'll just have to implement the same kind of translation layer that sparc has done, for example.

Thanks a lot for all your help. I've got two last questions: From the code in entry_32.s I can dig up "current" from ((struct paca_struct *)r13)->__current to read a personality flag from it, right? Digging up offsets in assembly can't be very fun :-\ Secondly, is there a preferred existing field into which I should stick said flag or just stuff it somewhere?

This part seems like the easiest so far; no icky binary format parsing, no confusing memory maps. Thanks once again!

So I guess all I have to do is:
(A) Write a bunch of new syscall handlers taking arguments of the same types
as the Darwin syscall handlers,

Yes. The big issue tends to be to translate all the errno's and the fcntl structure pointers etc. THAT can be quite painful indeed. You might ask David Miller and company about their SunOS stuff, and look at things like

	arch/sparc/kernel/{sys_sunos.c,sunos_ioctl.c}

for some sorry examples.

Ok, I figured it was going to be ugly; maybe not quite _that_ ugly but my hopes weren't high enough for you to dash to any real degree :-D.

Cheers,
Kyle Moffett