Re: why are some of my patches being credited to other "authors"?

On Sat, 9 Dec 2006, Tim Schmielau wrote:

> i wrote:

> > but given that i'm trying to follow the kernel guidelines and keep
> > each submission as a logically-related chunk, in many cases, i
> > have to wait for one patch to be applied before i can submit the
> > next one. and, at the moment, there's no way of knowing what's
> > going on.
>
> Well, you can send out a patch series:
>   [patch 01/02] Prepare foo for blah
>   [patch 02/02] Apply blah to foo
> Ideally you would finish the patch description for patch 02 with something
> like
>
> ---
> This patch depends on [patch 01/02] Prepare foo for blah

... snip ...

wait a minute.  that's not what i've understood all this time as the
rationale for a multi-part patch -- to show dependency.  certainly,
that's not what you read in "SubmittingPatches":

"If one patch depends on another patch in order for a change to be
complete, that is OK.  Simply note "this patch depends on patch X" in
your patch description."

that doesn't say anything about using the multi-part notation.  are
you sure about this?

rday