Re: single bit errors on files stored on USB-HDDs via USB2/usb_storage

Pete Zaitcev wrote:

>>>This was almost certainly caused by hardware flaws in the USB interface
>>>chips of the enclosures.  There's nothing the kernel can do about it
>>>because the errors aren't reported; all that happens is that incorrect
>>>data is sent to or from the drive.
>>
>>So pretty much all ich can do is to pray that the errors don't corrupt
>>the Filesystem-Metadata (XFS).
>

> No, this is not all. You should buy a variety of different enclosures
> with different chipsets (e.g. find a Freecom if you can),

That would definetly cost way to much money and time to be in any way
"efficient".

> and also use decent cables.

I replaced all cables with "High Quality"-cables.
But as a "Joe user" it is practically impossible to really know if the
cables are good.
All i can say is that the "original" cables that came with the
enclosures appear a bit thin and the ones i bought appear much more
thick, have gold plated contacts and have a massive plaited shielding
IOW appear much more trustworthy. But, as i said, in the end i can't
really know if they are better than the original ones.

Bis denn