Re: [patch] speed up single bio_vec allocation

On Thu, Dec 07 2006, Nate Diller wrote:
> On 12/7/06, Chen, Kenneth W <[email protected]> wrote:
> >Nate Diller wrote on Thursday, December 07, 2006 1:46 PM
> >> the current code is straightforward and obviously correct.  you want
> >> to make the alloc/dealloc paths more complex, by special-casing for an
> >> arbitrary limit of "small" I/O, AFAICT.  of *course* you can expect
> >> less overhead when you're doing one large I/O vs. two small ones,
> >> that's the whole reason we have all this code to try to coalesce
> >> contiguous I/O, do readahead, swap page clustering, etc.  we *want*
> >> more complexity if it will get us bigger I/Os.  I don't see why we
> >> want more complexity to reduce the *inherent* penalty of doing smaller
> >> ones.
> >
> >You should check out the latest proposal from Jens Axboe which treats
> >all biovec size the same and stuff it along with struct bio.  I think
> >it is a better approach than my first cut of special casing 1 segment
> >biovec.  His patch will speed up all sized I/O.
>
> i rather agree with his reservations on that, since we'd be making the
> allocator's job harder by requesting order 1 pages for all allocations
> on x86_64 large I/O patterns.  but it reduces complexity instead of
> increasing it ... can you produce some benchmarks not just for your
> workload but for one that triggers the order 1 case?  biovec-(256)
> transfers are more common than you seem to think, and if the allocator
> can't do it, that forces the bio code to fall back to 2 x biovec-128,
> which, as you indicated above, would show a real penalty.

The question is if the slab allocator is only doing 2^0 order
allocations for the 256-page bio_vec currently - it's at 4096 bytes, so
potentially (I suspect) the worst size it could be.

On the 1 vs many page bio_vec patterns, I agree with Nate. I do see lots
of larger bio_vecs here. > 1 page bio_vec usage is also becoming more
prevalent, not less. So optimizing for a benchmark case that
predominately uses 1 page bio's is indeed a silly thing.

--
Jens Axboe