Re: 2.6.19-rc5-mm1 progression

Peter Zijlstra wrote:
On Mon, 2006-12-04 at 21:32 -0600, Larry Finger wrote:

There are at least two patches in 2.6.19-rc5-mm2 that make my system much more responsive for interactive jobs. The one that has the majority of the effect is:

radix-tree-rcu-lockless-readside.patch

I have not been able to isolate the second patch, which has the lesser effect. All I can say is that it occurred before the above patch in patches/series. This patch was tested against 2.6.19 and fixed most of the problem on that version.

Curious...

This patch introduces the direct pointer optimisation for single element
radix trees and makes the radix tree safe to read in a lock-less manner
which is not used -yet-. The only difference that that should have is
that the elements are freed using rcu callback instead of directly.

/me puzzled how this has a large effect on interactivity.

Nick?

I have already got the direct data optimisation upstream. It might be
possible that it is some interaction with the extra rcu callbacks going
off... I don't know :\

--
SUSE Labs, Novell Inc.