Re: Linux should define ENOTSUP

Ulrich Drepper wrote:
On 12/6/06, H. Peter Anvin <[email protected]> wrote:
That's largely already the case, mostly because there is unfortunately
still a fair bit of rubber-stamping Solaris going on.

Don't say that, Peter.

I'm working on the committee now for many years and got most changes I
(and those telling me their wishes) wanted through.  This is very much
a technically oriented working group, not political.  In fact, of the
regular members there are more with stakes in Linux than any of the
other OSes combined.  If there are problems people perceive they can
file bugs on the OpenGroup's site
(http://www.opengroup.org/austin/defectform.html) or tell me about it.

I'm quite aware of that, but I still think Sun has more resources to get their particular viewpoint through the committee -- it's just a matter of resources at hand. I myself had to largely drop out due to other pressures, for example.

Now, I'm much happier with Solaris being rubber-stamped than some other possibilities. However, it's very easy to sweep concerns under the rug by saying "legacy, out of scope."

	-hpa