Re: 2.6 tmpfs/swap performance oddity

Magnus Naeslund(k) wrote:
But tmpfs seems to get really slow when it has to swap out stuff from
tmp to a 80 gb swap partition, much slower than just writing a file
to the ext3 fs. Maybe this is a known thing, and easily tuned, but
I've not seen any solutions when googling around.

This is a SWAG ( Silly Wild Ass Guess ), but maybe tmpfs isn't mapping the files sequentially in ram, or is otherwise doing something to prevent proper swap clustering and read ahead?

Somehow I think I'm missing something here, maybe we're not supposed
to use tmpfs in this way at all? What more information can I supply
to narrow down the problem? Is there any secret knobs that I can use
to tune swap performance?

You aren't supposed to be using tmpfs in this way at all ;)

tmpfs is meant to hold small files that will only exist for a short time, or do not need to persist after a reboot. Keep your big data files on a normal filesystem, and let the kernel worry about caching the most frequently accessed parts.