Re: -mm merge plans for 2.6.20

Hi,

On Wed, 6 Dec 2006, Thomas Gleixner wrote:

> If I understand it correctly, Roman wants clockevents to be usable for
> other things aside hrtimer/dyntick, i.e. let other code request unused
> timer event hardware for special purposes. I thought about that in the
> originally but I stayed away from it, as there are no users at the
> moment and I wanted to avoid the usual "who needs that" comment.

Nonsense, one obvious user would be the scheduler, the current scheduler
tick emulation is rather ugly and sort of explains why you need the
special wakeup logic I saw in previous versions.
The scheduler should be completely separate from hrtimer, in the long term
they might optionally not even use the same clock source (e.g. the
scheduler would use a low resolution, but fast clock, while posix timer
whould use the high resolution timer).

bye, Roman