Re: ownership/permissions of cpio initrd

You can also use fakeroot(1).

Start fakeroot.
Change all of your permissions as you see fit.
make your cpio
exit fakeroot.

Horst H. von Brand wrote:
Marty Leisner <[email protected]> wrote:
I'm working on an embedded system with the 2.6 kernel -- cpio
initrd was a new feature I'm looking at (and very welcome).

The major advantage I see is you don't have MAKE a filesystem
on the build host (doing cross development).  So you don't have
to be root.

But its "useful" to change permissions/ownership of the initrd
files at times...

Since a cpio is just a userspace created string of bits, I suppose
you can apply a set of ownership/permissions to files IN the archive
by playing with the bits...

The easy way out is to unpack the initrd, fix permissions, and repack. That
requires root, though (it creates devices).

Does such a tool exist?  Comments?  Seems very useful in order to
avoid being root...

I'd use sudo(1) + specially cooked commands to unpack/pack an initrd. It is
a bit more work, but gives you extra flexibility (i.e., not just futzing
around with permissions, can also add/replace/edit/rename/delete files, ...
using bog standard tools).