Re: -mm merge plans for 2.6.20

Paul Mackerras wrote:
Andrew Morton writes:

radix-tree-rcu-lockless-readside.patch

There's no reason to merge this yet.

We want to use it in some powerpc arch code.  Currently we use a
per-cpu array of spinlocks, and this patch would let us get rid of
that array.

I'd like to get another patch in here before going upstream if possible.
It is not a correctness fix, but it is a bit of a rework.

I also wouldn't mind getting the readahead path, if not the full
pagecache readside, out from under tree_lock in -mm kernels to exercise
the radix-tree concurrency a bit more.

It's just been painfully slow, recently because of these more important
buffered write vs deadlock and pagefault vs invalidate problems that
I've been working on. I don't feel I can load up -mm with too much
unrelated stuff that messes with mm/pagecache internals.

I guess the per-cpu spinlocks are pretty reasonable for scalability,
and you are mainly looking to eliminate the lock/unlock cost in your
interrupt path?

Nick

--
SUSE Labs, Novell Inc.