Re: PATCH? rcu_do_batch: fix a pure theoretical memory ordering race

On 12/04, Eric Dumazet wrote:

> Oleg Nesterov a ?crit :
> >
> >	int start_me_again;
> >
> >	struct rcu_head rcu_head;
> >
> >	void rcu_func(struct rcu_head *rcu)
> >	{
> >		start_me_again = 1;
> >	}
> >
> >	// could be called on arbitrary CPU
> >	void check_start_me_again(void)
> >	{
> >		static spinlock_t lock;
> >
> >		spin_lock(lock);
> >		if (start_me_again) {
> >			start_me_again = 0;
> >			call_rcu(&rcu_head, rcu_func);
> >		}
> >		spin_unlock(lock);
> >	}
> >
> >I'd say this code is not buggy.
>
> Are you sure ? Can you prove it ? :)

Looks like you think differently :)

> I do think your rcu_func() misses some sync primitive, *after*
> start_me_again=1;
> You seem to rely on some undocumented side effect.
> Adding smp_rmb() before calling rcu_func() wont help.

I guess you mean that check_start_me_again() can miss start_me_again != 0 ?
Yes, of course, it should check the condition from time to time. We can even
do
	start_me_again = 1;
	wake_up(&start_me_again_wq);

, this is still unsafe.

> >>A smp_rmb() wont avoid all possible bugs...
> >
> >For example?
>
> A smp_rmb() wont avoid stores pending on this CPU to be committed to memory
> after another cpu takes the object for itself. Those stores could overwrite
> stores done by the other cpu as well.

Yes. But RCU core doesn't write to rcu_head (except call_rcu). Callback _owns_
rcu_head, it should be ok to use it in any way without fear to break RCU.
Of course, callback should take care of its own locking/ordering.

> So in theory you could design a buggy callback function even after your
> patch applied.

So. Do you claim that rcu_func() above is buggy?

> Any function that can transfer an object from CPU A scope to CPU B scope
> must take care of memory barrier by itself. The caller *cannot* possibly do
> the job, especially if it used an indirect call. However, in some cases it
> is possible some clever algos are doing the reverse, ie doing the memory
> barrier in the callers.
>
> Kernel is full of such constructs :
>
> for (ptr = head; ptr != NULL ; ptr = next) {
> 	next = ptr->next;
> 	some_subsys_delete(ptr);
> }
>
> And we dont need to add smp_rmb() before the call to some_subsys_delete(),
> it would be a nightmare, and would slow down modern cpus.

Agreed.

Oleg.