this one seems appropriate for 2.4 too. It is OK for you if I merge it ?

Thanks,
Willy

On Wed, Nov 29, 2006 at 02:00:25PM -0800, Chris Wright wrote:
-stable review patch.  If anyone has any objections, please let us know.
------------------

From: Shaohua Li <[email protected]>

IA32 manual says if micorcode update's size is 0, then the size is
default size (2048 bytes). But this doesn't suggest all microcode
update's size should be above 2048 bytes to me. We actually had a
microcode update whose size is 1024 bytes. The patch just removed the
check.

I agree with what you said, but unless I miss something, not what you did... I don't see the code to get the size and set it to 2k if it's zero. I would expect after the call to get_totalsize() that there would be a line like:
  if (unlikely(total_size == 0)) total_size = DEFAULT_UCODE_TOTALSIZE;
or some similar logic to do what the manual suggests, that zero is a valid value.

I may be totally misreading this, of course, I'm taking the manual quote as gospel.

--
Bill Davidsen <[email protected]>