Re: [patch] x86: unify/rewrite SMP TSC sync code

Using gtod() can amount to a substantial disturbance of the thing to
be measured.  Using rdtsc, things seem reliable so far, and we have an
FPGA (accessed through the PCI bus) that has been programmed to give
access to an 8MHz clock and we do some checks against that.

Same here. gettimeofday() is way too slow (dual Opteron box) for the
frequency I need to call it at. HPET is not available. But TSC is doing just
fine. Plus in my case I don't care about sync between CPUs (thread that uses
TSC is running on the isolated CPU) and I have external time source that takes
care of the drift.

So please no trapping of the RDTSC. Making it clear (bold kernel message during
boot :-) that TSC(s) are not in sync or unstable (from GTOD point of view) is of
course perfectly fine.

Thanx
Max