Re: [take25 1/6] kevent: Description.

Evgeniy Polyakov wrote:
uidx is an index, starting from which there are unread entries. It is
updated by userspace when it commits entries, so it is 'consumer'
pointer, while kidx is an index where kernel will put new entries, i.e.
'producer' index. We definitely need them both.
Userspace can only update (implicitly by calling kevent_commit()) uidx.

Right, which is why exporting this entry is not needed. Keep the interface as small as possible.

Userlevel has to maintain its own index. Just assume kevent_wait returns 10 new entries and you have multiple threads. In this case all threads take their turns and pick an entry from the ring buffer. This basically has to be done with something like this (I ignore wrap-arounds here to simplify the example):

  int getidx() {
    while (uidx < kidx)
       if (atomic_cmpxchg(uidx, uidx + 1, uidx) == 0)
         return uidx;
    return -1;
  }

Very much simplified but it should show that we need a writable copy of the uidx. And this value at any time must be consistent with the index the kernel assumes.

The current ring_uidx value can at best be used to reinitialize the userlevel uidx value after each kevent_wait call but this is unnecessary at best (since uidx must already have this value) and racy in problem cases (what if more than one thread gets woken concurrently with uidx having the same value and one thread stores the uidx value and immediately increments it to get an index; the second store would overwrite the increment).

I can assure you that any implementation I write would not use the ring_uidx value. Only trivial, single-threaded examples like you ring_buffer.c could ever take advantage of this value. It's not worth it.