Re: Simple script that locks up my box with recent kernels

On Wed, Nov 22 2006, Jesper Juhl wrote:
> On 22/11/06, Jens Axboe <[email protected]> wrote:
> >and

> >> Thanks Jens, I'll apply that later tonight and force a few lockups and
> >> see if I get any extra details with that patch.
> >
> >Can you post a full dmesg too, as well as clarify which device holds the
> >swap space?
> >
> Sure. I'll post a full dmesg as soon as I get home.
>
> The swap partition is on a IBM Ultrastar U160 10K RPM SCSI disk,
> hooked up to an Adaptec 29160N controller, using the aic7xxx driver.
> That disk holds all my filesystems as well and the controller also has
> a SCSI DVD drive and a SCSI CD writer attached to it.  No SATA/PATA
> devices in the box, in case that matters.

Does the box survive io intensive workloads? Have you tried using net or
serial console to see if it spits out any info before it crashes? I
would not be too surprised if it's the aic7xxx driver taking a dive, I'd
be a lot more surprised if it's actually the bouncing (I don't think you
do any, can you post cat /proc/meminfo | grep -i bounce on that box?) or
a generic vm/block bug causing you problems.

--
Jens Axboe