Re: acpiphp makes noise on every lid close/open

On Fri, Nov 17, 2006 at 05:08:10PM +0100, David Weinehall wrote:

> Good question.  Personally I'd say we refuse to suspend when we have
> devices we *know* to be dock-devices etc mounted.

Kernel-level or userspace? IBM certainly used to sell bay-mounted hard
drives, and while it's possible for a user to pull one out while the
machine is suspended, I suspect that the general use case is probably
for it to carry on being used.

Possibly what's needed is something like Apple's nullfs - force unmount
the drive on suspend, and put a nullfs there instead. On resume, if the
drive is still there, remount it. If not, userspace applications get
upset about the missing drive but no data is lost. The downside to this
approach would be trying to figure out how to get the drive remounted
before the rest of userspace starts trying to scribble over it again...

--
Matthew Garrett | [email protected]