Re: [patch/rfc 2.6.19-rc5] arch-neutral GPIO calls

David:

David Brownell wrote:

I know there have been discussions about standardizing GPIOs before,
but nothing quite "took".  One of the more recent ones was

 http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=110873454720555&w=2

Below, find what I think is a useful proposal, trivially implementable on
many ARMs (at91, omap, pxa, ep93xx, ixp2000, pnx4008, davinci, more) as well
as the new AVR32.

Compared to the proposal above, key differences include:

Excellent proposal, I think it should be implemented as-is. I don't care that this proposal only works for "real" GPIOs, and doesn't provide for a userspace API.

At its worst, this proposal offers an intermediate step towards a framework that can do both synchronous/real and asynchronous GPIO control. At its best, provides a starting point for that framework AND a much-needed unification in an API that could really use cleaning up TODAY. No downside, in my opinion.

b.g.

--
Bill Gatliff
[email protected]