Re: [patch] floppy: suspend/resume fix

On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 19:40:01 +0000, Russell King wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 12, 2006 at 07:09:53PM +0100, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> >
> > * Mikael Pettersson <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > > Sorry, no joy. The first access post-resume still fails and generates:
> >
> > ok, then someone who knows the floppy driver better than me should put
> > the right stuff into the suspend/resume hooks :-)
>
> At a guess, what's probably happening is that the floppy drive, when
> powered on after resume, reports "disk changed" because it doesn't
> know any better.
>
> We interpret "disk changed" to mean the disk has been removed and
> possibly changed (which _is_ correct) and thereby abort any further
> IO (irrespective of resume.)
>
> Now, consider the following two scenarios:
>
> 1. You suspend and then resume, leaving the disk in the floppy drive.
>
> 2. You suspend, remove the floppy disk, insert a totally different disk
>    in the same drive, and then resume.
>
> What should you do?  (Hint: without reading the disk and comparing it
> with what you have cached you don't know if the disk has been changed
> or not.)
>
> If you argue that in case (1) you should continue to allow IO, then
> you potentially end up scribbling over a disk when someone does (2).
>
> So I'd argue that the behaviour being seen by Mikael is the _safest_
> behaviour, and the most correct behaviour given the limitations of
> the hardware.

Note that my usage scenario consists of separate I/O commands:

1. boot
2. tar cf /dev/fd0 somefile
3. tar tvf /dev/fd0
4. suspend (close lid) and later resume (open lid)
5. tar tvf /dev/fd0 (this one fails since 2.6.18-rc1)

Ages and ages ago the floppy driver would cache data so that
after e.g. one "tar tvf /dev/fd0" command, a new "tar tvf /dev/fd0"
wouldn't actually do any I/O. But nowadays, at least in all 2.6
kernels, that's not done and both "tar tvf /dev/fd0" commands
will read the media.

Thus I don't see any excuse for the kernel failing step 5 above.

/Mikael