Re: [patch/rfc 2.6.19-rc5] arch-neutral GPIO calls

David Brownell wrote:

  - Only intended for use with "real" GPIOs that work from IRQ context;
    e.g. pins on a SOC that are controlled by chip register access.

  - Doesn't handle I2C or SPI based GPIOs.  I think we actually need
    a different API for those "message based" GPIOs, where synchronous
    get/set requires sleeping (and is thus unusable from IRQ context).
    That API could be used for "real" GPIOs; the converse is not true.

  - No IORESOURCE_GPIO resource type (could be added though).

  - Can be trivially implemented today, on many systems (see partial
    list above) ... no "provider" or gpiochip API necessary.

  - Provided in the form of a working patch, with sample implementation;
    known to be viable on multiple architectures and platforms.

  - Includes Documentation/gpio.txt

Comments?

If this is done, I think it's essential that a "high-level" API (one that supports message-based GPIO) is provided at the same time. The "high-level" API should be able to address the GPIOs addressed by the low-level API. What we do *not* want is a bunch of stuff using the low-level API when the high-level API would work.

	-hpa