Re: util-linux: orphan

Karel Zak wrote:

 I've originally thought about util-linux upstream fork, but as
 usually an fork is bad step. So.. I'd like to start some discussion
 before this step. Maybe Adrian will be realistic and he will leave
 the project and invest all his time to kernel only.

Actually, forking is not really that bad of an idea. When I took over tftp, for example, I just did it and called it tftp-hpa. It didn't take very long before I got a message from the netkit maintainer asking if I was planning to continue, and if so if he could drop tftp from netkit.

A similar thing happened when Jeremy (and now Ian) took over autofs from me.

Forking gets your new maintainership proven *before* you end up taking over. On the other hand, magicfilter effectively died when I handed it over to someone who didn't do a good job with it.

	-hpa