Re: New filesystem for Linux

On 11/4/06, Jan-Benedict Glaw <[email protected]> wrote:
On Sat, 2006-11-04 14:59:53 -0500, Albert Cahalan <[email protected]> wrote:

> BTW, a person with disk recovery experience told me that drives
> will sometimes reorder the sectors. Sector 42 becomes sector 7732,
> sector 880880 becomes sector 12345, etc. The very best filesystems
> can handle with without data loss. (for example, ZFS) Merely great
> filesystems will at least recognize that the data has been trashed.

Uh? This should be transparent to the host computer, so logical sector
numbers won't change.

"should be" does not imply "won't"   :-)

On a drive which is capable of remapping sectors, imagine what
happens if the remapping data itself is corrupted. (the user data
is perfectly fine and is not being relocated)

What I mean is that the logical sector numbers not only change,
but they are the only thing changing. The user data never moves
to a different physical location, and is never intended to move.
The user data is perfectly readable. It just appears in the wrong
place as viewed by the OS.