Re: New filesystem for Linux

James Courtier-Dutton wrote:

I have seen this too. I think that when IDE drive relocates the sector due to hard errors, one would silently loose the information that was stored in that sector. How can one detect this? Of course it would be nice if the IDE drive told us that sector X had just gone bad but I don't think they do. They just silently relocate it because in some cases the sector has only gone a "bit" bad, so the IDE drive relocates it before it totally fails.

I've never seen this behaviour in a drive. All the drives I've seen mark bad sectors as "pending reallocation", they they return read errors on that sector unless they manage to jag a good read, in which case they then reallocate the sector. Or else they wait for you to write to the sector triggering a reallocation.

There may be drives less well behaved out there, but I've not come across them.

Brad