Re: New filesystem for Linux

[]
PS. Do you have any benchmarks of your filesystem? Did you do any longer
automated tests to prove it is not going to loose data to easily?

I have, I may find them and post them. (but the university wants me to
post them to some conference, so I should keep them secret :-/)

Interesting to know, how "another one" FS is quick and stable.

On my new hardware, with dual core CPU 3.4G, 1G of RAM, 1/2TB disk space
(office pro, yes *office* (pro)), `dd' can suck 50M/s, (running and)
extracting 2.6.19-rc2 on fresh 20Gb partition (xfs,jfs) yields nearly 4M/s.

As for ordinary user it seems very slowly.

So try my filesystem and tell me if I have it better :)

Ext2 (not ext3) is as fast as shmfs, until RAM will be full.
And after 13 cycles XFS has 11-12 directories with good linux source,
ext2 6-7 (IIRC). On start of 14th cycle i pushed reset button, btw.

My Spadfs will leave there snapshot of situation at most 2 minutes ago (this sync interval can be changed with mount option).

Mounting & repairing XFS took less than minute; e2fsck spent more time
on printing, rather than reparing, i think (:.

Want to create another one? OK, but why not to improve existing? >/dev/null

Because redesign is sometimes better.

And you can't generally improve XFS and JFS by simplifying their structures, because people would scream about incompatibility then.

Mikulas