Re: Faustian Pact between Novell and Microsoft

Petr Baudis wrote:

It's official.  Microsoft and Novell will now fork Linux.

(It's not clear what do you mean by "fork Linux". You mean fork the
kernel? Basically all the normal distributions are "forking the kernel"
and it seems to work fine. If not the kernel, it's even less clear.)

But I guess I just take you too seriously. ;-)

No problem. I was shocked to see it happen, but I left Novell 10 years ago trying to make the same thing happen between the two, so today for me the future took root in the present. Seriously, Novell has a limited lifespan unless acquired, and an M$ acquisition would be a good thing for the company. Given the resources both companies have, I would expect the see them take Linux in another direction. Linux is just out there floating with no good anchorage for long term survival -- a lot like Novell. 1 + 1 = 0 in this case,
but with M$ assimilating it, 1 + 1 + 1 = 5 is possible.

At any rate, the Linux folks working for M$ is not an outcome I would have expected, but I was happy to hear it. Let's see what M$ comes up with as a Linux knockoff and see who
uses it.

Jeff