Re: [take22 0/4] kevent: Generic event handling mechanism.

On 11/1/06, Evgeniy Polyakov <[email protected]> wrote:
On Wed, Nov 01, 2006 at 06:20:43PM +0000, Oleg Verych ([email protected]) wrote:

> Hallo, Evgeniy Polyakov.

Hello, Oleg.

> On 2006-11-01, you wrote:
> []
> >> Quantifying "how much more scalable" would be nice, as would be some
> >> example where it is useful. ("It makes my webserver twice as fast on
> >> monster 64-cpu box").
> >
> > Trivial kevent web-server can handle 3960+ req/sec on Xeon 2.4Ghz with
> [...]
>
> Seriously. I'm seeing that patches also. New, shiny, always ready "for
> inclusion". But considering kernel (linux in this case) as not thing
> for itself, i want to ask following question.
>
> Where's real-life application to do configure && make && make install?

Your real life or mine as developer?
I fortunately do not know anything about your real life, but my real life
applications can be found on project's homepage.
There is a link to archive there, where you can find plenty of sources.
You likely do not know, but it is a bit risky business to patch all
existing applications to show that approach is correct, if
implementation is not completed.
You likely do not know, but after I first time announced kevents in
February I changed interfaces 4 times - and it is just interfaces, not
including numerous features added/removed by developer's requests.

> There were some comments about laking much of such programs, answers were
> "was in prev. e-mail", "need to update them", something like that.
> "Trivial web server" sources url, mentioned in benchmark isn't pointed
> in patch advertisement. If it was, should i actually try that new
> *trivial* wheel?

Answer is trivial - there is archive where one can find a source code
(filenames are posted regulary). Should I create a rpm? For what glibc
version?

> Saying that, i want to give you some short examples, i know.
> *Linux kernel <-> userspace*:
> o Alexey Kuznetsov  networking     <-> (excellent) iproute set of utilities;

iproute documentation was way too bad when Alexey presented it first
time :)

> o Maxim Krasnyansky tun net driver <-> vtun daemon application;
>
> *Glibc with mister Drepper* has huge set of tests, please search for
> `tst*' files in the sources.

Btw, show me splice() 'shiny' application? Does lighttpd use it?
Or move_pages().

> To make a little hint to you, Evgeniy, why don't you find a little
> animal in the open source zoo to implement little interface to
> proposed kernel subsystem and then show it to The Big Jury (not me),
> we have here? And i can not see, how you've managed to implement
> something like that having almost nothing on the test basket.
> Very *suspicious* ch.

There are always people who do not like something, what can I do with
it? I present the code, we discuss it, I ask for inclusion (since it is
the only way to get feedback), something requires changes, it is changed
and so on - it is development process.
I created 'little animal in the open source zoo' by myself to show how
simple kevents are.

> One, that comes in mind is lighthttpd <http://www.lighttpd.net/>.
> It had sub-interface for event systems like select,poll,epoll, when i
> checked its sources last time. And it is mature, btw.

As I already told several times, I changed only interfaces 4 times
already, since no one seems to know what we really want and how
interface should look like.

Indesiciveness has certainly been an issue here, but I remember akpm
and Ulrich both giving concrete suggestions.  I was particularly
interested in Andrew's request to explain and justify the differences
between kevent and BSD's kqueue interface.  Was there a discussion
that I missed?  I am very interested to see your work on this
mechanism merged, because you've clearly emphasized performance and
shown impressive results.  But it seems like we lose out on a lot by
throwing out all the applications that already use kqueue.

NATE