Re: Remove hotplug cpu crap from cpufreq.

On Wed, Nov 01, 2006 at 03:09:52PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:

 > Hmm. People _have_ given a damn, and I think you were even cc'd.

You're right. In my defense, that stuff arrived the day I went
on vacation for two weeks, and I subsequently forgot all about it.
Looking back over that thread though, a few people seemed to pick a
number of holes in the patches, and there are some real gems in that
thread like.

 > Really, the hotplug locking rules are fairly simple-
 >
 > 1. If you are in cpu hotplug callback path, don't take any lock.

Which is just great, as afair, the cpufreq locks were there _before_
someone liberally sprinkled lock_cpu_hotplug() everywhere.

 > Right now, for 2.6.19, I'd prefer to not touch that mess unless there are
 > known conditions that actually cause more problems than just stupid
 > warnings..

>From what I can tell from looking at that thread back in August,
it went on for a while with a number of people picking holes in the
proposed patches, but there wasn't any reposted after that, and
certainly nothing that ended up in -mm.

_something_ needs to be done. If someone wants to fix it, great, but
until we see something mergable, we're left in this half-assed state
which is freaking people out.

	Dave

--
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk