PHY driver for linux 2.6.11.12

Hi all,

I want to write a phy driver for linux kernel version 2.6.11.12.
My requirement is phy driver code will not be a part of linux ethernet
driver. I mean all the phy management code go in phy driver and the
data transmit/receive related code go in mac driver.Mac driver will export
me
mdio-write and mdio-read(phy connected through MII to Mac).IF any body has
ne
idea about this please help me out.

I also want to know is i need to register phy driver as a seaprate network
driver.
or how any userspace code can coummnicate to my phy driver like ethtool or
mii-tool.