Re: 2.6.18 is problematic in VMware

Jan Engelhardt wrote:
My experience with VMware on several recent processors (mostly P-M family)
is that it crawls unless I force this first:
echo 1 > /sys/module/processor/parameters/max_cstate

My host processor is non-throttable
Uni-processor.

I tried with some kernels (hey, vmware had serial ports?)
For whatever reason, the timecounting is not accurate.
As you can see, the time difference between "WP bit" and the calibration thing is less than half a second inside the guest, but on the host, the delay is several seconds. The Capture Movie feature gets it right http://jengelh.hopto.org/f/2618delay.avi

I see a large delay _before_:

Calibrating delay using timer specific routine.. (lpj==

The lpj value is 38x the host lpj host value. Booting with lpj="some random number" removes the stall for me. And finally, breaking into kernel in this stall period consistently shows EIPs in calibrate_delay in backtrace.

One can see that it pauses before calibration (already mentioned that) and once again after NET: ... during IP init!? What's going on :(

The NET: pause has always been there, I think it just becomes much more noticeable if the lpj value is 38x normal.

Conclusion: you are getting bad lpj computation during beginning. Doesn't appear to be a kernel bug, so let's take it off list. You can bring it up on VMTN http://www.vmware.com/community/index.jspa?categoryID=1 for more on-topic support. In fact, interesting test you can try - suspend / resume during the hang. Does the discontinuity during calibration make it go away?

Zach