Re: r8169 mac address change (was Re: [0/3] 2.6.19-rc2: known regressions)

On Wed, 1 Nov 2006, Francois Romieu wrote:

> Guennadi Liakhovetski <[email protected]> :
>
> > in to see if it ever fails. So, what does it tell us about the
> > set_mac_address thing?
>
> It tells nothing more about the set_mac_address thing. If people need
> MAC address change support, I can surely hack something and keep a
> patch for future reference. Imho it is anything but 2.6.19 material
> though.

Aha, ok, thanks. Just noticed that the set_mac_address has been reverted
in -rc4, so, that's resolved. Good.

> Your computer was good at spotting issues with the MAC address stuff,
> so it was the perfect candidate to test pending fixes for different
> problems. As you noticed, it was not exactly safe to feed the MII
> control register with some potentially uninitialized stuff, whence
> the patch from yesterday.

Glad it was useful. I have to warn you though, that that "computer" is not
very actively used ATM and doesn't stay on for too long. However, if you
can suggest a way to stress test that phy reset thingie, I could run some
overnight test.

Thanks
Guennadi
---