Re: Suspend to disk: do we HAVE to use swap?

Luca Tettamanti wrote:
> Il Tue, Oct 31, 2006 at 02:41:11PM -0500, John Richard Moser ha scritto:
>> Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

>>> No, but unfortunately one piece is still missing: You'll need to figure out
>>> where your swap file's header is located.
>>>
>>> However, if you apply the attached patch the kernel will tell you where it is
>>> (after you do 'swapon' grep dmesg for 'swap' and use the value in the
>>> 'offset' field).
>> Nobody has answered this one yet:  Once you 'swapon' doesn't the kernel
>> have (require?) the swap file opened writable?  Simple mode:
>>
>>   IS THIS NOT EXTREMELY DANGEROUS?
>
> The trick is that the FS hosting the swapfile is *not* mounted at all;
> you don't even activate the swap. resume process uses the block number
> (better: the couple <devid, block>) to locate the swapfile.
> The "ugly" part of this method is that the user has to figure out the
> first block of the swapfile, since at resume time it's not possibile to
> mount the fs (not even read only - journaled filesystems will blow up
> due to journal replay) to search the swap area...

Yes, I was referring to Wysoki's comment about using swapon to find it.
 Although I guess you could look beforehand; but then if you move the
partition around on disk the block changes (and the kernel, on resume,
goes "BOY WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?!" because the partition table is
incorrect XD)

> Luca

- --
    We will enslave their women, eat their children and rape their
    cattle!
                  -- Bosc, Evil alien overlord from the fifth dimension