Re: mmaping a kernel buffer to user space

Hi Jiri,

The fact that it does not works with RAM is well documented in LDD3,
pages 430++. It says (and I tested) that remap_xxx_range does not work
in this case. They suggest a method using nopage, similar to the one I
implement.

I do not see why remap_xxx_range has the limitation, but it is there.
The question is then: can the limitation be removed, or can we implement
a new function that maps RAM all at once without the need for a nopage
implementation?

In any case, here is the code.

Best Wishes,
Guillermo

/*************************************************/

To allocate (inside an IOctl cmd):

retptr = pci_alloc_consistent( privdata->pdev, kmem_handle->size,
&(kmem_entry->dma_handle) );
if (retptr == NULL)
	goto kmem_alloc_mem_fail;
kmem_entry->cpua = (unsigned long)retptr;
kmem_entry->size = kmem_handle->size;
kmem_entry->id = atomic_inc_return(&privdata->kmem_count) - 1;

To mmap (inside mmap fops, this DOES NOT works):

/* Map the Buffer to the VMA */
#if LINUX_VERSION_CODE >= KERNEL_VERSION(2,6,10)
ret = remap_pfn_range(
		vma,
		vma->vm_start,
		__pa(kmem_entry->cpua) >> PAGE_SHIFT,
		kmem_entry->size,
		vma->vm_page_prot );
#else
ret = remap_page_range(
		vma,
		vma->vm_start,
		__pa(kmem_entry->cpua),
		kmem_entry->size,
		vma->vm_page_prot );
#endif

Forcing me to this:

(in mmap):

/* Set VM operations */
vma->vm_private_data = kmem_entry;
vma->vm_ops = &pcidriver_vm_operations;
pcidriver_vm_open(vma);

(and the nopage vm_ops):

/* Maps physical memory to user space */
struct page *pcidriver_vm_nopage(struct vm_area_struct *vma, unsigned
long address, int * type) {

pcidriver_kmem_entry_t *kmem_entry;
struct page *page = NOPAGE_SIGBUS;
unsigned long pfn_offset,pfn;

/* Get private data for the page */
kmem_entry = vma->vm_private_data;

/* All checks where done during the mmap_kmem call, so we can safely
 * just map the offset of the vm area to the offset of the region,
 * that is guaranteed to be contiguos */

pfn_offset = (address) - (vma->vm_start);
pfn = (__pa(kmem_entry->cpua) + pfn_offset ) >> PAGE_SHIFT;

if (!pfn_valid(pfn)) {
	mod_info("Invalid pfn in nopage() - 0x%lx \n", pfn);
	return NOPAGE_SIGBUS;
}

page = pfn_to_page( pfn );

get_page(page);