Re: lspci output needed was Re: Frustrated with Linux, Asus, and nVidia, and AMD

Andi Kleen wrote:

There are clearly some NVIDIA chipsets which require the override be skipped, and some which require it not be. I think the ball is currently in NVIDIA's court to provide a way of figuring out which chipsets require the quirk and which don't..

My current plan is to switch in 2.6.20 to automatic probing of more pins
for the timer routing (suggested by Tim Hockin, I've got a test patch).
Thank you, Tim!

But that's too risky for .19.

For 2.6.19 we'll likely add some more PCI-IDs disabling the quirk
and a command line option to disable the skip timer override quirk.
That should be safe, and timer override as an option should give everyone a way to get what they need on any given system.

Doing this per PCI ID isn't that bad because afaik Vista certification
requires enabling the HPET table and I assume most boards will get
Vista certification soon. This will force Asus to fix their BIOS.
And nVidia to release more information? Hopefully.

Can people who use a Nvidia based AM2/SocketF board (especially when they have timer troubles but otherwise would be useful too) please report their lspcis in private mail to me?

-Andi

--
bill davidsen <[email protected]>
 CTO TMR Associates, Inc